Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Post Office

I just need to vent this so if you don't want to hear my rant forget this post and wait until the next one :)

OKAY so today is busy with getting things ready to go for our trip to Colorado! J has two finals today so he is at school pretty much until we leave whenever that may be. So I took the time to get things done! We went and picked up a couple last minute things for the trip from the store, filled the gas tank and it was all going so well! Then we headed to the post office to send a package to Auntie Pam and her baby boy who is coming soon, and I sort of lost it there. Of course because I had a little girl who was ready to go home for snack there were a ton of people there (that's just how it always works out) so we ventured inside and Maia was doing amazing!
Seriously she amazes me with her ability to stay calm in situations I can't, I know we do switch rolls sometimes where she freaks out and I just kinda watch and laugh but I think she was a little freaked out by me today.

Anyway we get inside and I had to put my stuff in a box, figured it'd save money to use a flt rate box right? (WRONG) So I tapped up the box put my quilt and outfit inside for little baby, I even managed to remember to put the card in! I usually forget that part so I was feeling pretty good. Then I went and filled out the Customs for because it's headed to Canada, and they have to assume I'm trying to smuggle something illegal in my baby blanket...so I get that filled out and the wait begins...

There were 6 people ahead of me when I got there including one toddler much more sick of waiting in line than mine was...My child happened to be hiding under one of the desks making a wicked ripe stink in her pants, with so many people in line of course there was only ONE person helping people! After about 15 minutes another postal worker shows up to help people, "Finally, this will help us get out of here and on our way to finish packing!" I thought to myself! Well  down to only two people ahead of me one guy with like 6 small packages and an elderly woman who possibly was a stamp collector. If you're ever in line behind a stamp collector at the stamp counter come back later! I learned that from buying stamps with my Grandpa L its very time consuming, but I felt okay since now there were two workers so one of them was bound to be done soon enough to help us so we could go. I kept glancing over at the automated postage machine longing to be able to send my package from there! But because it was going international I had to stand in line. After  45 minutes it was finally my turn! I did a little giddy jig inside we were finally gonna be done and feeling so productive!

So I hand over my box and the custom form she asks if its fragile or dangerous, I refrained from making a bad joke like pretty sure pajamas are flame resistant anyway (see bad joke :) ) and said no and pulled out my wallet to help things move faster. She starts typing in zip code into computer and makes this face that means if i walk away right now I could leave happy, but I know I have to stay to find out what that face she is making is all about, is it my stinky toddler that your nose has caught a wiff of or is it on that screen?! "please let it be the sinky bum!" was all I could think...
She looks up and says "Okay so you filled out the wrong customs form for this box.."
in my head mind you: 'wtexpletive (yes I said the word expletive in my head I'm kinda awesome like that) where does it say you need a specific form for a specific stinking box?"
" I can give you the form to go to the end of the line and fill out or you can go home and repackage this parcel and it will save you about ..pause for pushing buttons on keyboard...$25."
Me (out loud this time): "seriously?"
She: something about it will only cost this much if you get your own box but it will cost upwards of $40 for this one and you have to wait in line ALL OVER AGAIN
that was all I heard before I held in my words and let out a huge breathe and said "that's kinda ridiculous" and I left. I didn't make it to the car before I was overcome by tears. Just in time for a gust of wind to knock my box out of my hand, I was also balancing the toddler the gal-dern customs forms and my purse and keys so wind was icing on the cake. I got the stinky one in the car threw everything else inside and went to get the box, luckily it didn't get run over and I got in my car and cried a little bit and thought some bad words, which I felt terrible about and that made me cry more! So what else do you do when you get that frustrated I texted my husband.
Even the seatbelt refused to cooperate. So I sat in my car for a few minute until I could calm down a little, Maia said from the back seat "My mama sad!"
She sure was sad Mai. The wind picked up but we finally got home got into the house and my sweet little girl came up to me and gave me the biggest sweetest hug. Then I caught another whiff of that stinky bum and we had to head upstairs before getting to work on all the packing I haven't started.

I brought up the computer so I could take a few minutes to vent this all out so I don't keep it inside and explode in the car or anything. While doing so of course the computer froze up and turned off about 6 sentences ago! Thank you dear auto save!!!! So J will be driving tonight because if my luck continues in this manner we may get hit by some random wild hog that isn't even indigenous to this part of the world and we'll need to replace the car, HAHAHA so I'd rather not press my luck too much today. I will also be sending that package to my sister in law from Colorado at anyplace that will help me and not make my tear ducts explode with frustration. I know it could have been much worse, I am grateful it wasn't worse. But I feel much better having been able to vent it all out, now before my computer freezes up again or something I will return to packing and pray for the peace of mind to keep my sanity. At least I have a darling little Maia who is cooperating so well today!!

1 comment:

  1. Goodness woman! I am sorry about the stroke of bad luck but I am so excited you get to go see some family!!!

    ReplyDelete