Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Observations

I am the kind that observes situations before jumping in... Lately I seem to be observing the funniest things when in the Walmart check out line. 


First off you know  the conveyer belts that bring your food to the cashier? Continually moving, just like the moving side walk at the airport, Human conveyor belt..or toddler treadmill (see video on my facespace page). So you have your stuff on there and the little divider at the end so some one can go next. Ever notice how people will fill up that tiny little 6 inches of conveyer belt you leave them like there's no tomorrow? The conveyer belt suddenly broke and they gotta fit their whole cart on that tiny little spot or they wont get to check out at all? When you're in front of them it's easier to be like "geez calm down buddy its gonna move again in like 30 seconds" but being behind them you're more likely to look back and forth at his cart and the small space to see if maybe YOU could squeeze some more of their stuff on, like its gonna move the line any faster. I do it but at least I'm not alone in the endeavor. And to be honest since observing this I am working to break the habit and be patient with the conveyor belt.


Do any of you use the recyclable bags? When I bring them to the store; I hand them my 4 bags, the cashier is usually annoyed. How dare I bring my own bags! But come on they don't break as easily and are easy to carry, oh and Eco friendly, okay i'll bring my own bags, when i remember. But as the cashier is going it becomes a mission to fit all of your groceries into one bag! I sit there watching them bag my groceries thinking, you know there's more than one bag there...you dont have to fit it all into one... so then i end up leaving with one bag I can barely lift and 3 other bags each with a loaf of bread, box of cereal and the milk (cuz it needs its own bag..?). Unless of  course the cashier is a man and I'm purchasing feminine hygiene products then those will be put in their own separate bag as if they never had to touch them. On more than one occasion I have found myself getting to the car and reorganizing the bags so that when I get home I will be able to lift them and my toddler inside in as few trips as possible.
The only time I've noticed it not being this way, so far that is, was in Maui where you're option is to bring your own bag or don't have one. Some places provide paper bags but there is a new law that prohibits plastic bags being used for things like bagging your groceries (unless you bring them in yourself). 


So is it just me?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! Why do cashiers get so angry when you do this?? LOL I would think it would be fun to vary up the bagging process. And yes!!!! Just because a bag can fit 50lbs worth of groceries doesn't mean it's a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete